Wednesday, March 05, 2008

The Aftermath and Dad's Estate

As I mentioned before, I went to a church service where I was right next to the woman whose mistake had a few weeks before injuried my dad so severely that he died a little over two weeks later. She was living in an assisted living facility whose manager I knew personally - he wanted to introduce me to her.

As politely as I could under the circumstances, I told him "no", that I didn't bear any grudge over Dad's death, but I wasn't ready to move on quite that quickly. I haven't seen her since.

Then the fun began. As per instructions from the church organization that had had the will made out, I went to the probate court to have it registered, only to find that if Dad owned any real estate at all his estate had to go through the probate court. That meant a lawyer, court fees, and all the rest of it.

It took us two months to get an appointment with a lawyer. Then the court clerk told the lawyer that since it was a "foreign" will (i.e. made out in Georgia to Tennessee specs) she (the lawyer) would have to file a document for the court to accept the will. It took the court chancellor (three months later) telling the clerk to file the will for this functionary to do what he was asked to do. As I said to the lawyer's clerk, I thought this was the UNITED States of America.

Now two and a half years later we are just about ready to get the chancellor's signature on the documents ending the estate. Considering that Tennessee and Georgia are now having words over water, I guess it is time to get this estate wound up before the argument creates more problems. I will be glad to have this behind me.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home